Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thoughts On The Stock Market

The stock market appears to be at an important juncture.

As seen in the below chart, by Ron Walker (thechartpatterntrader.com) there is the much-discussed potential Head and Shoulders formation that looms large:

(click on chart to enlarge)(chart courtesy of StockCharts.com)

As well, the VIX is just above 20.  As I have commented upon previously, over the last 10 years the 20 level on the VIX has been one of great importance:

(click on chart to enlarge) (chart courtesy of StockCharts.com)

While both of these conditions, as well as an obviously weakening economy, may seem to foreshadow a stock market that is vulnerable to decline, I maintain my stance written of in a June 2 post:

"While I have written extensively about how I believe the stock market will face an exceedingly large decline in the future, for now I think (based upon a variety of factors) that a near-term stock market advance is likely. This is not to say that I think "all is well" with the economy or the markets - anything but. In essence, I think we will see a little more "sunshine" but if one looks out to the (economic/financial) horizon "the sky is black," unfortunately."

Even though a rally from here may well prove strong, one should not become complacent.  As I also mentioned in that June 2 article:

"I believe that we are building to a variety of major market events."


SPX at 1125.07 as this post is written

No comments:

Post a Comment